East Flatbush

Suspect in Brooklyn double murder dies after shot by police during attempted arrest

NBC Universal, Inc.

The suspected gunman in the shooting death of a father and stepson in a Brooklyn apartment building died after he was shot by police attempting to take him into custody, according to the NYPD.

Officers were trying to arrest Jason Pass, 47, the suspect in Sunday's double murder, when he was shot by police after they alleged he had a knife in his hand, the department said.

Early Wednesday, police pulled over a car Pass was driving on Bay 44th Street. He got out of the vehicle with a knife and began to run away, police said. After a pursuit and a confrontation with Pass, police said he charged at officers with the knife and that is when they opened fire.

"He didn't give us a choice, he decided to charge at officers forcing them to protect themselves," said NYPD Chief of Patrol John Chell.

An image of the knife police said Jason Pass had at the time of his arrest.

Pass was shot four times, three times in the chest and one time in his right leg, according to police. Pass was still alive after the shooting and was rushed to NYU Langone Hospital in Brooklyn, where he later died. Multiple officers went to the hospital to be treated for ringing in the ear after the shooting.

Chell said officers tried to negotiate with Pass before he was shot.

The shooting by police came after officers were called to a building on Brooklyn Avenue in East Flatbush just before 11 p.m. Sunday following an argument, according to police. Surveillance video showed Pass confronting upstairs neighbors in a dispute over noise.

Detectives said 47-year-old Bladimy Muthurin, his wife and his 27-year-old stepson came out into the hallway, and moments after Pass knocked on their door, Muthurin confronted him with scissors. Pass responded by pulling out a gun, and police said he shot and killed the father and stepson.

A witness said Muthurin was initially still alive, but Pass came back and shot him again. Both victims were found in a fourth-floor hallway with gunshot wounds to the head and body.

Chell described the shooting as a "double horrific homicide."

Pass calmly left the building through an elevator right after the shooting, police said. Police said a license-plate reader identified the vehicle that Pass was driving Wednesday and led to the traffic stop.

Police officials said they are investigating a working theory that Pass is a former corrections officer.

NYPD officials brief the media on the officer-involved shooting that led to the suspect's death.
Copyright NBC New York
Contact Us